Sunday, March 30, 2008

Inspiration

It seems like the very best items that I make are requests directly from my customers. These magnets are one example. I received a message asking for glass magnets made from a vintage map of the California coastline.

Not being able to locate a vintage map of any coastline, I turned to the Etsy forums where Sherry Truitt (http://www.sherrytruitt.etsy.com/) saved me! She said she had an atlas from 1936 and she would send me the page of California!



My customer was THRILLED and she absolutely loved the aesthetic of the map...a day later and we had the gorgeous magnets in this picture. They are almost 2" in diameter and go all the way from Mexico to Oregon. Of course, they are backed by a super strong neodymium magnet. ☺

This was definitely a situation where it was very handy to have both a supply shop as well as my main shop. She was able to go to my supply shop and see all the pieces of glass I have available to make these magnets with. She picked her favorite, I laid them out on the map to get approval of the position of them, and voila!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! And so cool too that Sherry had a perfect map to use! Isn't etsy awesome... sometimes I wonder if i'd have made it as far as I have if it weren't for the forums... all of us make etsy what it is, and I love that we all continue to support each other in our growing and success as individuals too.